About Us

My photo
Jolie is a knitting and homeware shop run by Linda Williams and Daniella Taylor. If you are interested in anything you see on this blog or would like to learn to knit or crochet please call us at the shop on 01438 861 717. We are open between 10am and 4pm Mon - Sat. To view our website, click on http link below.

Saturday 25 May 2013

Postcard of Walkern


I was astonished when Linda called me into the shop on Friday, to say someone had come in with a painting of my house..... a passing art dealer thought someone in the village may be interested. Well, yes I am, but I can't afford it just yet. The painting is by John Haskins, who is quite a renowned artist and still painting and we reckon this was probably done in the early 1960's. My house is the first on the left and Jolie is tucked behind the house. The Yew Tree pub is still there, but now has tables and chairs outside and is also a Chinese restaurant. Not much else has changed, except there are a few more houses and of course the traffic - there is no way a child could play on a trike in the road these days. Oh my, it is so pretty! I would love to have it. Maybe one day when my ship comes in........

2 comments:

  1. Ooh how lovely to have such a great painting of your house. Did you ask the price, and did you manage not to gasp when they told you? Always assuming it was a gaspable amount!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept my cool.....but he could tell I was tempted. I would love it, but it's a little out of reach at the moment. I took his number nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete